Thursday, October 22, 2009

Inga

August: I am cleaning Inga's room, she runs up and bites the back of my knee. I reacted instinctively-- which is to say that I did something that knocked her over. Afterwards, I picked up my sobbing child from the floor and asked her why she bit me (she hadn't bit anyone since she stopped teething). Inga replies "I just want to be your little helper." And then starts picking clothing off the floor. Apparently I was seriously repressing her by not inviting her to clean her room with me.

Inga in the car on Tuesday. "I'm a grown-up, right?" Me: (wanting to encourage this because she had been insisting that she was a baby last week) "yes you are!" Inga: "That means I get to drive the car!" Me: awkwardly trying to wiggle out of this by creating new categories, "big-driving grown-ups' and "grown-up kids who can't drive yet."

2 comments:

Dura said...

The assoication between being "grown-up and driving is pretty clear. The assoication between cleaning and biting leaves me worried.

Dura said...

The assoication between driving and being "grown-up" is pretty standard. The association between biting and cleaning leaves me worried.